Re: peeking with tokenring on linux laptop

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Sat, 04 Jan 1997 16:47:20 +1100

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997 14:28:48 PST,
"Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com> wrote:
>I want to use tcpdump to peek at a token ring network (running
>primarily netbeui and ipx) with linux 2.0.27 on a laptop...
>
>Ethernet works fine, I'm not sure I under what Link encap: UNSPEC
>means on tr0...
>
>How do I read tr0 on tcpdump?

AFAIK, tcpdump does not support token ring. You will have to hack
libpcap and tcpdump to add the support, recommend you start with the
latest versions from ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov, they now officially support
Linux. I hacked previous version of tcpdump (3.0.2) to add support for
PLIP, patches mailed to Marty as an example of what needs to be
changed.