re: AMD (fwd)

Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:43:09 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Rob Glover wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
>
> > Hmm, isn't the clock speed really 33 and a 1/3 ? that way we get the
> > 33/66/100/133/166/200 progresion as long as we allways round down.
> <SNIP!>
> _ _
> Well, they still have to do a bit of funny math... 33.33 * 3 = 99.99
> <this is an example of 100 :>
>
> -Rob

It's not funny at all, because you are using an inexact approximation of
1/3. If you always round down after your calculation, you get:

33 1/3 * 3 = 99 3/3, or 100

I assume that they always round down, because they (who ever they are, I
assume Intel in the first instance) wish to avoid a DX/2 being 67 Mhz.
It's the always rounding down is the bit that's confusing the issue.

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.