Re: adding scsi devices

Keith Rohrer (kwrohrer@uiuc.edu)
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 01:08:50 -0600 (CST)

> On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Marty Leisner wrote:
> > An echo `scsi singledevice 1 0 5 0' >
> The whole Linux scheme for naming devices on SCSI (and IDE) busses is
> awkward - period. If I add a disk as SCSI ID 0 then, guess what? All of
> the sudden none of my SCSI disks have the same device names as before
> (despite the fact that none of their SCSI ID's have changed). Wonderful -
> that's not confusing at all...
Ah, so you want to be able to mount /dev/sd1050 or some such (we can get
around separators if we use base 16 for the ID's)? Hmm. How many bits
long are device (major, minor) numbers now, and how many major numbers
would that take for scsi? Especially since we'd need sd*, st*, sc*,
and sg*...

Plus, if you plug in an additional controller and reboot, the new one
might not be the last one... MCA and maybe PCI cards can be remembered
by slot, but not ISA cards, plus you have to know how the BIOS will order
the cards, or make lilo boot a device driver which in turn loads
the kernel...

> I'm sure the originator of this scheme had a good reason, but so far it
> escapes me. My best guess is that it was a misguided decision to continue
> DOS's braindead convention of calling the first disk found disk1, the second
> 2, etc. Yech - surely Linux is better than DOS. Every other UN*X-like OS I
> have experience with names devices by their actual controller, bus, ID, and
> LUN. That's predictable.
Okay, wiseguy, how many letters do you allocate for a hard disk? And what
happens if I have more partitions than that, or if that runs me past Z?

Linux already calls the master on the second IDE channel /dev/hdc,
no matter if you do or don't have anything on the first channel or indeed
any first channel at all, I would like to see Linux join the world of
unixes-with-enough-scsi-device-names. This should happen no later than
the 32-bit-to-64-bit flag day.

Keith