Re: Shell-Script problems

Michael Ballbach (ballbach@lorien.ml.org)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 05:58:48 -0700 (MST)

On 10 Dec 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> In linux.dev.kernel, article <199612091745.MAA05230@ktk.bidmc.harvard.edu>,
> Kris Karas <ktk@ktk.bidmc.harvard.edu> writes:
> >
> > Under 2.0.27, the script identifies itself, via the /proc interface,
> > as "scum" - somewhat imprecise as the interpreter's identity is
> > hidden. Under 2.1.14, BOTH the interpreter AND the interpreted
> > program name are listed, for greater precision. Doing 'ps -ax' will
>
> ???
>
> Under 2.0.27, ps -ax shows "bash /some/path/scum" (or "(scum) if argv is
> swapped out) and pstree shows "scum".

I think we need to talk about this, because I like that scheme better. It
allows you to more accurately determine what a user is doing. Wouldn't it
be more plausible to change killall to ignore the interpreter? It's just a
personal opinion, I just think it is more convinient to show all those
things. :)

> I fal to see how that behavior can be improved on in any way. The new code
> (which this patch deleted) would show "(bash)" or "bash" in the latter two
> cases. :-(
>
> Besides, I want to be able to type "killall foo" after starting ten copies
> of foo. Oops -- foo was a perl program, and "killall perl" would kill a
> bunch of important jobs...
>
> --
> Honest, officer,
> had I known my health was in jeopardy, why, I'd never have lit one!
> --
> Matthias Urlichs \ noris network GmbH / Xlink-POP Nürnberg
> Schleiermacherstraße 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@noris.de
> 90491 Nürnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc'ing
> PGP: 1024/4F578875 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE
> Click <A HREF="http://info.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. 42

Michael A. Ballbach: N0ZTQ
ballbach@lorien.ml.org
http://lorien.ml.org/~ballbach/index.html

"You earth people have glorified violence for centuries, but imprisoned
those who do so separately." -- Spock