Re: map problem??

Peter Denison (peterd@pnd-pc.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 11:42:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Mike Wangsmo wrote:

> THis is a somewhat trivial question, but I hope someone can answer it for me.
> In my log file I have the folowing line from my kernel boot sequence:
>
> kernel: Cannot find map file.
>
> Can somebody tell me what this means and what I should do to correct it.
> Althought that doesn't seem necessary as I've not noticed any problems.
>
> BTW, this seems to happen with 2.1.x and 2.0.22

First: make sure there is a System.map file that klogd can find. It needs
to be in / /boot or /usr/src/linux and one of them needs to match the
current (booting) kernel version. I copy the one that ends up in
/usr/src/linux after compiling to /boot/System.map-2.n.nn and then do
ln -s /boot/System.map-`uname -r` /System.map in one of the startup
scripts.

Second: Check that your klogd is new enough. I believe klogd-1.3 has a
minor patch available to make it work on kernels > 2.0.0
I installed sysklogd-1.3-9.i386.rpm as I'm running RedHat, and
that works...

I'll write this up for the changes file and send it to Chris Ricker....

Cheers,
Peter

--
Peter Denison <peterd@pnd-pc.demon.co.uk>
Currently (still) working on a driver for Promise cards under Linux.