Re: hda problems

Bryan C. Andregg (bandregg@idir.net)
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 09:51:30 -0500

Your message dated: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 10:29:13 EDT
> Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 00:24:30 -0500
> From: "Bryan C. Andregg" <bandregg@idir.net>
>
> Sep 4 00:14:09 hueco kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady See
> kComplete DataRequest Error }
> Sep 4 00:14:09 hueco kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableEr
> ror }, LBAsect=920040, sector=7732
> Sep 4 00:14:09 hueco kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:07, sector 77
> 32
>
> These are low-level errors from the disk driver, reporting errors from
> the disk controller. What they mean is that you have hardware errors
> developing on your drive. When this happens, *immediately* perform a
> backup!! If you have a spare (empty) disk handy, do the backup by using
> dd to copy the raw disk image.

[ much panic removed ]

Aaaauuuuuuggggghhhhhh!!!!!!! This is a laptop without a removable drive. To
top it off, it is only 9 month old.

Now, I suppose what I need is a recommendation as to how I can prove to
Toshiba that this physical error xists without having to install Win or
some other garbage.

Bryan C. Andregg [] Network Administrator
Internet Direct Communications [] System Administrator
Lawrence, Kansas [] Internet Janitor