Re: hda problems

Mike Bristow (mike@shivan.demon.co.uk)
5 Sep 1996 17:44:42 GMT

In article <199609041451.JAA00861@hueco.idir.net>,
"Bryan C. Andregg" <bandregg@idir.net> writes:
[`Your HDD is just about to die snipped]
>Aaaauuuuuuggggghhhhhh!!!!!!! This is a laptop without a removable drive. To
>top it off, it is only 9 month old.
>
>Now, I suppose what I need is a recommendation as to how I can prove to
>Toshiba that this physical error xists without having to install Win or
>some other garbage.

1) Backup your data.
2) while true ; do ( dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null & ) ; done (*)
3) wait till the thing really dies (might take a day or so)
4) Go to the dealer and say `My computers broken'

* or whatever the right bash syntax is.

Or to put it another way, accelerate the death of the HDD to the point that it's
really dead, and even a squirming evil bugger (tm) can't deny it.

Mike

--
The best UK M:tG tourney page: http://www.shivan.demon.co.uk/tourney/

(Not that I'm biased ;)