Re: My wish for the next Linux-Release...

Mon, 1 Jul 1996 18:20:42 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Herbert Wengatz wrote:

> Hi there!

[...]
> All these need their special support included into the kernel under
> Linux.
>
> So, under Linux I'm currently forced not to use the SAMBA-fs, NFS, nor
> may I use my Scanner and I feel like I'll get some troubles with
> PPP via ISDN in my near future. I also can't install the sound-driver
> with all features enabled...
>
> But I'd like to soon use SAMBA and NFS, since I'm building up a little
> LAN at home, with the PC of my girlfriend and my old Sun 3/60.
>
> And there are some more features I'd like to use, like firewalling,
> and, and, and...
>
> Can anybody give me hint, what I can do ?

Yes, build your kernel with only the vital to boot drivers (root
disk(ide/scsi), rootfs (ext2fs), and build everything else as
modules, kerneld is very efficant, and you'll never want to go back ...

[...]
> Regards,
>
> Herbert
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.