Re: Network performance

Chris Chiappa (griffon+@cmu.edu)
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 12:03:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Bruce Thompson wrote:
> For those who've never had the privilege of working on an Apollo
> system, a variant link is a symbolic link with an embedded environment
> variable reference:
>
> ln -s "/usr/${BINARY_FORMAT}/lib" /usr/lib
FYI, the AFS filesystem provides something akin to this. It expands an
"@sys" in a pathname into a unique system type. Ie if you have a link
bin -> .bin-@sys
and have a directory named .bin-i386_linux1 and .bin-sun4_54 (for
example), then the AFS daemon(I think) will expand the proper name at
runtime. This behavior does work in the Linux port of AFS, although only
on AFS volumes. I don't know how hard it would be to adapt to arbitrary
filesystems. The developer's name is Derick Atkins, warlord@mit.edu.
There is also a "linux-afs" list at Mit...

--

_ _ _ |s| Email: griffon+@cmu.edu |n| Linux * X-Files * Team OS/2 |u| |r| Finger => PGP etc |g| Carnegie Mellon University |l| |_| http://www.snurgle.org/ |e| /\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\ |_|