Re: possible SCSI device numbering solution

Willy Konijnenberg (willy@xos.nl)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 16:03:42 +0200

> On Tue, 25 Jun 1996 23:30:54 +0200 (MET DST), Gerd Knorr
> <kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de> said:

> >> I'm reminded of somebody saying, "they'll never need more than 640k". :-/
>
> > This really is'nt a problem. If you look back, the capacity of hard
> > disks increased, not the number of hard disks in a system. It's much more
> > likely that we run in trouble becauce 32 bits are to small to count the
> > all the sectors of a disk...
>
> Well, that gives us 2TB of disk space. We're not going to run into
> this limit _just_ yet... (famous last words)

Let me see, I just read of someone with a 54GB ext2 filesystem, so
that gives us a factor of 20. Going from 100MB to 2GB happened in the
last 5 years or so (remember when Linux started?), so within 5 years
someone *will* complain about this ridiculous limitation... :-)

--
     Willy Konijnenberg <willy@xos.nl>
     X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands