Re: Why RedHat distribution.

Tyson D Sawyer (tyson@rwii.com)
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 09:22:42 -0400

> On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, hab wrote:
[...]
> > PRO's Cons
> > RPM where is Packages.rpm
> > Current Doesn't recognize VFAT
> > Install init custom Where is Install init Source
> > Source and Binaries Availble Can't use them without Packages.rpm
> >
> >I would like to use it but right now I am feeling bullied into buying a book
> > with it's outlandish $5.95 shipping charge.
> >
> > Hubert Bahr
>
> You may also want to look into Debian Linux. Look at http://www.debian.org.
>
> Note, I have not tried RedHat so I am not saying Debian is /better/... But I
> think Debian is /good/.
>
> __kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
> "You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."

I believe that all the listed pros and cons apply to Debian as well.
The main difference I see between debian and Red Hat is that Red Hat
has much better support and a larger audience. Additionally, there
is a number of commercial software packages (most notably from Caldera)
that use the Red Hat rpm packaging. I know of no such support for
Debian.

>From what I have read, Debian is a very good system. Red Hat is also
a very good system and it is much more popular and has much more support.

Cheers!
Ty