Re: 2.0.0 hung

Daniel Lehnberg (danielle@london.docs.uu.se)
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:22:37 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996 d-seaman@ukans.edu wrote:

> I am running Red Hat 3.0.3, all the newest packages (modules, etc). Today
> for the first time in MONTHS Linux totally hung. I opened up xmmix, the
> speakers popped (which is normal when the sound card is initialized). THen
> X froze and nothing would work. Caps lock wouldn't come on, 3 finger
> salute didn't work, nothing. A totally locked system. No errors in the
> system logs either.
>
> However, since then I can open xmmix with no problems. This is with a
> sound blaster AWE 32, and everything as modules. Kerneld 2.0.0, too.
>
> Has anyone else had this happen?
>
> Derek
>
> /---------------------------+-----------------+-----------\
> | Derek L. Seaman | P90/Wide SCSI II| Open |
> | University of Kansas |48MB Ram/3.5GB HD|Windoze let|
> | Mechanical Engineering | 4mm 8GB DAT | bugs in. |
> | 1997 Formula SAE Car |17" Nanao F2-17EX| RedHat |
> | d-seaman@ukans.edu |HP LJ 5MP/SB AWE | *LINUX* |
> \---------------------------+-----------------+-----------/

I've got almost the same problem with mod-0.81 (compiled with X support)
it sometimes hang itself giveing no audio output under X , if it has to
"ask" kerneld load the sound module, sometimes the playing child goes into
a unkillable zombie! blocking my soundcard, the only way to kill it is to
reboot :( I use my GUS for modplayin. I also have a SBpro in my computer.
My guess is that kerneld gets swaped out and takes to long to get back
into memory again ? anyone knows about what it can be ?

| We the willing, lead by the ignorant, make the impossible |
| for the unthankfull. We have done so much for such a long time with |
| so few resources, that we now have qualified ourselves to do anything |
| with the help of nothing. |
| Daniel "Que" Lehnberg , danielle@student.docs.uu.se , cel93dlg@ima.mdh.se |