Re: Java and the FSSTND

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 01:10:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Daniel S. Barclay wrote:

(clip)

> Scripts shouldn't have to have an absolute name there; it should be
> indirectable, so the script doesn't depend on where the interpreter
> is located (so the script will work on system with the interpreter in a
> different place).
>
> How about something like this:
> - Intrepret the name after "#!" as a command to be looked up as a normal
> command.
> - If it's an absolute name (starting with a slash), it works the
> same way as it does now.
> - If it's a simple name (no slashes), it gets looked up via the
> PATH environment variable (or whatever is appropriate
> considering security issues).
> - If it's a relative name (slashes, but no leading slash), it
> get looks up relative to the current directory (or
> whatever is needed for security).
> - If it ever became necessary, the kernel (or whatever) could look up
> simple names are map them to interpreter pathnames using
> whatever mapping mechanism we wanted.
>

> Daniel

Maybe _I'm_ out of context, but what does this get you?

Most of the scripts on my system usr /bin/sh ... I can link that to any
binary on my system.

For what application is this useful?

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
"The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the
flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language."