Re: Pruning the tree (was Re: your mail)

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 00:45:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

(clip)
> I _agree_ that making partial trees out of the _current_ kernel
> tree is a BAD BAD idea. I do think that there may be a way to
> solve this that is acceptable to everyone.

There is, it is very simple. Someone can take the distributed kernel, and
cut out parts of it that aren't needed for a particular type of machine or
application (ie no network connection).

They can test compile it, solve any frictional problems that occur due to
the changes, and distribute it. There are two glitches ; they need access
to an ftp site and they need help from people who have, or must have
themself, machines of several different architectures. (or they can
guess which files to cut out -- is it clear cut? I don't know).

> --
> Andrew E. Mileski
> mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net My home page http://www.redhat.com/~aem/
> Linux Plug-and-Play Project Leader. See URL http://www.redhat.com/pnp/
>
> Red Hat Software sponsors these pages - I have no other affilitation
> with Red Hat Software, and I have never used any of their products.

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
"The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the
flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language."