Re: mount

Dave Baker (dsb@greebo.onlinemagic.co.uk)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 18:30:49 -0500

db@cph.ih.dk (Dan Bjarno) wrote:

> In a much earlier Linux-release I used to have (Yggdrasil, I think), "mount"
> didnt have to be told what fs-type it was to mount:
>
> When typing the command "mount /dev/hda2 /mnt", mount itself figured out
> what type of fs /dev/hda1 was initialized with.
>
> In my present Slack-release, "mount" has to be told with the "-t<fs>" option, .
>
> Is there any (good) reason why the auto-probing has disappeared ?

you may find that adding lines in /etc/fstab will help matters for
frequently mounted filesystems. add the options noauto, and possibly
"user" if you (1) don't want it auto-mounted at boot and (2) want to
allow users (rather than just root) access to mount/umount the device.

(eg) from my /etc/fstab

---
/dev/hdc        /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,noauto,user,ro        0 0
/dev/hda1       /msdos  msdos   defaults,noauto,user    0 0
/dev/fd0        /floppy msdos   defaults,noauto,user    0 0
---

dave baker