Re: Linux 2.1 wishlist...

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 02:43:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Stephen Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In article <4pp6sg$8v2@fg70.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>,
> ig25@fg70.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de (Thomas Koenig) writes:
>
> > Hmm.. let's not forget real swapping, where a process which consumes
(clip)

> > Also, preemptive paging would be great (this means writing copies of
> > active memory pages to disk, so that they can be thrown out of core
> > without writing them to disk first if more memory is needed).
>
> Planned for 2.1. There are a number of places where I want to
> improve swapping throughput further, especially to do with even better
> clustering of writeouts and managing sequential access of large
> datasets more intelligently. NFS swapping should also appear at some
> point.

This looks like it should know what the underlying device is... On IDE you
could lose number crunching power if the kernel was babysitting the
controller. SCSI of course would be less intrusive.

> Cheers,
> Stephen.
> ---
> Stephen Tweedie <sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
> Department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Scotland.

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper.
-- Rod Serling