Re: Ideas for v2.1

Stephen Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:00:30 +0100

Hi,

In article
<Pine.LNX.3.93.960612162131.1791E-100000@dilbert.redhat.com>, Elliot
Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, DUPRE Christophe wrote:
>> > Also, I'd like to see the tray locking on CDROMS be a little less
>> > strict. If there are no open files on a mounted CD, and no process
>> > has the CD for a current directory, I'd like to be able to open
>> > the CD tray (without a screwdriver :), put in a new disk, and
>> > have it be available when I close the tray.
>>
>> Even if the CD is mounted ?

> This problem belongs in userland. Someone needs to make a volume manager
> like Slowaris has, so that users can take care of this problem.

Actually, this is exactly what my "supermount" patches do (available
for 2.0 on linux.dcs.ed.ac.uk in /pub/linux/supermount!). It provides
truly transparent removable media support for both floppy and cdrom.

There are a couple of problems with the current release. Only msdos
and iso9660 filesystems are supported, and the door locking on 2.0
kernels means that you can't change disks on cdroms for many drives
which were OK on 1.2. The 0.5 releae of supermount is in progress and
under testing, and will address these deficiencies.

Cheers,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Tweedie <sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Scotland.