Re: 1.3.100: My notes, as usual

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:18:35 -0400

From: hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Date: 4 Jun 1996 15:53:56 GMT

No on both counts. The Linux kernel currently has no facility for
throwing out compiled code (it would require at least as and ld
hacks.) Nor could it be built as a module, since there is no way to
get to the point where it could be inserted.

Actually, we could do something like this. I think it was Alan Cox (or
possibly Eric Young) who first suggested that we could use the gcc
attribute feature to put certain procedure into a separate ELF section,
so that at the end of the boot sequence, those pages could be
marked as being reusable. It would require doing some GCC-specific
features, but it shouldn't require any special as or ld hacks.

- Ted