Re: swapping order?

Ingo Molnar (mingo@kaliban.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:35:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Sheldon E. Newhouse wrote:

> When real memory is exhausted, how does the system choose to swap? Is it
> based on programs which have been idle the longest, use the fewest
> resources, or what? Is there a specific algorithm which is used,
> relating cache, etc? Also, how and when does the system relinquish the
> swapped space when it no longer needs it? Where might I find out about
> these things?

i could try now to explain it, but there is a much better source of
information, the:

New Interactive Kernel Hackers Guide, where you can post your own
questions if you dont understand something [and the thing notificates
people who know the answer, and the answer gets part of the document,
and, and, and, many more] :

http://www.redhat.com:8080/HyperNews/get/khg.html

Cheers, hope it helps, Ingo