Re: Some more pre-2.0 input

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Wed, 15 May 1996 17:21:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Hartmut Niemann wrote:

> Hi Peter!
(clip)
> > Ever tried reading Documentation/CHANGES, which is exactly what you're
> > looking for?
> Thank you, I have not, i surely will.
> But my point is a little different: if somebody has a from-the-box 1.2.8 or 1.1.9 or 0.99.xx
> system, what does he have to replace to run a 2.0.0 kernel? Probably everything...
> My system at home ist a 1.2.13 pre-elf, and I guess i will more or less reformat it, if i do not
> find an easier way. I think I won't upgrade package after package.
>

> > About whether or not to reformat, that will allways be up to you to
> > deside.
> No, it's not. Some systems make it really a good idea to - at least -
> delete them (deltree c:\windows) before installing the new version.
> Does a new installation really cope with _all_ old config scripts?
> Does it overwrite them? Process them? Leave them untouched? move them to *.old?
> Do you know when the (just as an example) lilo.conf script last changed
> it's format? The network config scripts?

Lilo, PPPD etc. are not the linux kernel; they are userland, and when and
how to deal with old configurations is _usually_ a distribution problem, and
_almost_never_ a kernel problem; the exception of course is areas of kernel
interaction.

I'm not disagreeing, but perhaps carry this on more effectively on
linux-admin/debian-user/some-slackware-list etc? Even if everyone here
agrees with you, is the kernel going to contain code to clean up /etc/ and
convert old ppp config files??

(clip)

> > --
> > Peter von der Ahe
> > Ny Munkegade 101,1 tv, DK 8000 Aarhus C,Denmark
> > Phone: +45 8613 2634, E-mail: pahe@daimi.aau.dk
> > www: http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~pahe/
> >
> +--+
> !cu!
> +--+ Hartmut
>
> --
> Hartmut Niemann
> niemann@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
> Zum Aussichtsturm 18 D-91080 Marloffstein

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.99.3___
Pascal, n.: A programming language named after a man who would turn over in
his grave if he knew about it.