Re: Java and the FSSTND

Gonzalo Tornaria (gtornari@varela.reu.edu.uy)
Wed, 15 May 96 2:27:47 GMT

Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.deUlrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-rege=
nsburg.de> wrote:
=20
> I really like the Java idea, because we can add in the very same
> way directly executable LISP code automagically displaying
> PostScript (via ghostscript) FORTH ..what else..?
=20
\begin{stupid mode}
=20
Don't forget Mathematica!!! Also, uncompressing gzip files, mountin=
g block=20
devices (after the ESP-driver, the kernel should know where you=20
want to mount it), say "My name is Linus Torvalds, prepare to die" when=
=20
exec'ing vmlinux. insmod'ing modules, reading mail at execution of the=20
mailbox...
=20
\end{stupid mode}
=20
> I always thought Java is somthing inside the HTTP world, but now
> it's in the OS. Please ignore my ironic message, but I always
> thought the kernel is policy-free.
=20
I agree with you. What about having an "execd" (exec daemon)? The k=
ernel=20
directly understands elf and/or a.out, and #!-scripts. If something els=
e is=20
executed, it sends a message to execd. If it knows how, execd could eit=
her=20
execute the command, or instruct the kernel to do it (i.e. return the n=
ew=20
command line).
=20
=A8What do you think of this?