Re: Java and the FSSTND

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Wed, 15 May 1996 09:09:40 +0200

On 15 May 96 at 2:27, Gonzalo Tornaria wrote:

> I agree with you. What about having an "execd" (exec daemon)? The kernel
> directly understands elf and/or a.out, and #!-scripts. If something else is
> executed, it sends a message to execd. If it knows how, execd could either
> execute the command, or instruct the kernel to do it (i.e. return the new
> command line).
>
> (What do you think of this?

I think all "non-native machine executables" (scripts, interpreted
code, etc.) should have the full name of their interpreter in them.
If they also had a unique (i.e. common) pattern for identification,
it would be rather nice. Personally I don't like the presence of too
many daemons, but if you can keep the kernel simple, why not?