Re: Question Re: PPP speed

Cerberus (cerberus@ginch.dial.umd.edu)
Sun, 12 May 1996 18:28:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 May 1996, Gary Abrahams wrote:

> When under linux and I ftp somthing from one of our ftp sites
> ftp says that the max speed I get is about 2.4 k / sec but under Windoze
> 95 I get 25K sec? - This is to the same site under the same
> internet provider at approx. same time.

I think Linux FTP is giving you speed in KByte/sec (IE about
2.4KBytes/sec is average for a 24,000 connection), where as Windows 95 (I
know WS_FTP32 does this) reports speed in KBits/sec. Remember - 8 bits =
1 Byte, so if the speed was about 8x in Windows 95, then it would be
accurate. I'm not quite sure why it would be 10x faster, except that
maybe you connected at 24,000 under Linux and maybe 26,400 (or 28.800)
under Windows 95.

-dave

--
cerberus@ginch.dial.umd.edu, cerb@glue.umd.edu