Re: Amazing what a little RTFM can do :>

David A Willmore (willmore@cig.mot.com)
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:08:33 -0500

On Apr 19, 10:48pm, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:
>
> > Bryn Paul Arnold Jones was heard saying ....
> > Uhh? You mean the drives settings (master/slave) is ALSO dependant on
> > its RIBBON location??? I thought floppy drives were the only ones that
> > actually did that (and for them because of the little twist in the
> > cable that you can see). But you say that IDE is the same way?? Huh! I
> > connected, disconnected, and moved more IDE devices than I can think
> > of and have NEVER been aware of the cable-location thingy.
> >
> > So have I just been LUCKY for the past 4 years and by chance gotten
> > cable location correct? Hmm!
> >
> Look it's just what I've been told, and I'm not going to test it, ok ....

CS is a valid way, according to the ATA spec, of selecting the drive. It's not
commonly used as it requires a crossover cable (I may be wrong). The most
common way is for one drive to have a jumper set to tell it that it is master.
It is traditional for this drive to be at the end of the cable (from the days
when control cables were terminated on the ends like SCSI cables), but with ATA
this isn't necessary is they now handle that problem my necessating a maximum
cable length.

Read the manuals for the drives involved and remember that some older (<350
Meg) drives didn't play fair when it comes to being the master or the slave and
may prefer one of the positions depending on the other drive involved. It's
ugly, but true. Drives within one brand are normally safe, but when mixing
brands of HD, some older HD's can mess you up. I've never had this problem,
but I have seen numerious reports of it.

One more (extremely wierd) problem^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hobservation about the Quantum
fireball 1080 (maybe others) is that it changes it's prefered CHS mapping
depending on wether it's the master or the slave!!! If it's the master, bit
says it's 2K+ cylinders and if it's a slave, it reports one quarter of that
number. Very strange and very frustrating when the partition table gets read
and Linux has to figure out how to "Do the Right Thing(tm)"--which it does.
Yeah, Linux!

Cheers,
David