Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #167

Alan Cox (iialan@iifeak.swan.ac.uk)
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 09:48:34 +0100 (BST)

> From: "James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@JHCloos.COM>
> Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 03:17:49 -0500
> Subject: Oops in tcp_rcv()
>
> We have been seeing frequent opps-es in the net/ipv4/tcp.c:tcp_rcv()
> function in the 1.3.15 kernel. My previous test of new kernels have
> all suffered even worse problems, so I've fallen back on .15.
>
> Has this problem been addressed in any of the recent patches?

No because it doesn't happen on any system I have useful access to and all
the traces show is someone previously (any time previously) stamped on
memory. You cn try enabling SKB debugging in include/linux/skbuff.h and
rebuilding from scratch to look for networking buffer errors, but so far
nobody has found any. I have no idea who or what is corrupting memory nor
found any common links in the reports, so it could be a bug anywhere in
the kernel or in a gcc version

[Reference: I build/run tests with gcc 2.5.8 building -m386 binaries for
a pentium, a 486 and a 386. I don't use gcc 2.6.x or 2.7.0 because I have
too many user programs these gcc versions compile wrong]. Thats not to say
building with gcc2.5.8 is the answer either.

Alan