Re: Linux-1.3.19

linuxsys@ssg.com
Fri, 18 Aug 1995 21:15:30 GMT

linuxsys@ssg.com writes:
> FWIW, 1.3.20 doesn't seem to like ppp-2.2b3-950727. The four default
> ppp devices aren't detatched at boot time and invoking pppd gives
> "Sorry - PPP is not available on this system". Invoking pppstats
> gives "ioctl(SIOCGPPPSTATS): No such device". Thinking I'd forgotten
> to include the kernel patches in 950727, I rebuilt it
> (./configure;make kernel followed by making 1.3.20). No joy.
>
> Rick

Curiously, running pppd by hand (as opposed to from an otherwise
reliable script) pppd ran and has run subsequently from the same
script that failed before *and* pppstats started working.

Unfortunately, 1.3.20 has crashed twice on me while in X. In both
cases I came back to a completely frozen machine (with the hard drive
LED on) forcing me to hit RESET. I was not able to find any message
in /var/adm/xxxx suggesting what happened save it took over an hour in
each case. I have since dropped back to 1.3.14 which has a far better
track record.

Rick