Re: [GIT PULL] TTY/Serial driver updates for 6.3-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Feb 24 2023 - 16:31:25 EST

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 1:24 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> default SERIAL_8250

Hmm. Looking around, it seems to be a pattern. I'm not convinced any
of them are really valid, except probably the ones that aren't about
specific drivers, but about base support (like the "SERIAL_8250_DMA"
one).

I also do get the feeling that the base "SERIAL_8250" feature might be
better off as a _selected_ option, rather than a "ask if you want it".
I think we've ended up with that SERIAL_8250 being a base option
mainly for historical reasons (ie it was part of the original PC/AT
base specs, and then later it has become a "base driver for a lot of
random cards".

It's probably most legacy by now - it's a long time since I saw a
serial port being used outside of management ports, and even those are
often ethernet these days.

Maybe nobody cares.

Linus