Re: Internal vs. external barriers (was: Re: Interesting LKMM litmus test)

From: Alan Stern
Date: Mon Jan 23 2023 - 15:42:19 EST

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 09:06:54PM +0100, Jonas Oberhauser wrote:

> On 1/23/2023 8:58 PM, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Aha, I see! Powerful notation indeed.
> > > Keeping that in mind, wouldn't it make sense for pb also be changed to
> > > `...;po?` ?
> > You mean changing the definition of pb to either:
> >
> > prop ; strong-fence ; hb* ; po? ; [Marked]
> >
> > or
> >
> > prop ; strong-fence ; hb* ; [Marked] ; po? ; [Marked]
>
> Oh no, not at all!
>
> I mean that
>     pb = prop ; po ; {strong ordering-operation} ; po ; hb* ; [Marked]
> could instead be
>     pb = prop ; po ; {strong ordering-operation} ; po? ; hb* ; [Marked]
>
> (note that the po ; ... ; po part is actually folded inside the actual
> definition of strong fence).

This goes back to the original herd models, before the LKMM came about:
The fencerel() macro uses po on both sides. I believe the motivating
idea back then was that ordering should apply only to memory accesses
(which can in practice be observed), not to other types of events such
as memory barriers.

> > rcu-fence is different because rcu-order has to begin and end with
> > either a grace period or a critical section, and both of these restrict
> > the execution order of surrounding events:
> >
> > If X is a synchronize_rcu() or rcu_read_unlock() then events
> > po-before X must execute before X;
> >
> > If X is a synchronize_rcu() or rcu_read_lock() then events
> > po-after X must execute after X.
> >
> I believe so do the strong ordering-operations in pb.

But the beginning and end of a pb link (for example, overwrite and hb)
don't need to be strong-ordering operations.

Alan