Re: Linux 5.19-rc6

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Jul 14 2022 - 09:58:47 EST

Hi Günter,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 3:20 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7/14/22 00:23, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 11:51 PM Linus Torvalds
> > <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Honestly, by this time I feel that it's too little, too late.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> So considering that the ppc people ignored this whole issue since the
> >> merge window, I think it's entirely unreasonable to then apply a
> >> ppc-specific patch for this at this time, when people literally asked
> >> "why is this needed", and there was no reply from the powerpc side.
> >
> > Oh, it's not just this one. The lists of build regressions between v5.18
> > and v5.19-rc1 [1] resp. v5.19-rc6 [2] look surprisingly similar :-(
> >
> > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220606082201.2792145-1-geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > [2] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220711064425.3084093-1-geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> How do you build your images ? I don't see many of the problems you report,
> even if I build the files with W=1. It is odd, since reports such as

I rely on the kisskb build service, and just parse their build logs.

> drivers/mfd/asic3.c:941:23: error: unused variable 'asic'
>
> are real, but I just don't see that. If I build that file, I see that
> it builds with -Wno-unused-but-set-variable, due to
>
> Makefile:KBUILD_CFLAGS += $(call cc-disable-warning, unused-but-set-variable)
>
> The override in scripts/Makefile.extrawarn doesn't seem to work even though
> it adds "-Wunused-but-set-variable" to the compile flags. And if I remove
> "-Wno-unused-but-set-variable" from Makefile I still don't get the error/warning.
> Confused. I must be missing something, but what ?

That particular error is seen in the sh4-gcc11/sh-allmodconfig
build[3]. I assume it is fixed by now (see commit d684e0a52d36f893
("sh: convert nommu io{re,un}map() to static inline functions")).

[3] http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/14767627/

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds