Re: Linux 5.19-rc6

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Jul 14 2022 - 03:23:33 EST

Hi Linus,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 11:51 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 2:01 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you want to apply Guenter's patch original patch:
> > https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/490184/
> > That's fine with me.
>
> Honestly, by this time I feel that it's too little, too late.

[...]

> So considering that the ppc people ignored this whole issue since the
> merge window, I think it's entirely unreasonable to then apply a
> ppc-specific patch for this at this time, when people literally asked
> "why is this needed", and there was no reply from the powerpc side.

Oh, it's not just this one. The lists of build regressions between v5.18
and v5.19-rc1 [1] resp. v5.19-rc6 [2] look surprisingly similar :-(

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220606082201.2792145-1-geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220711064425.3084093-1-geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert