Re: [GIT PULL] nolibc changes for v5.19

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Mon May 23 2022 - 16:52:27 EST

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 01:30:37PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 1:23 PM Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > So I've figured it again. When you run:
> >
> > make tools/help
> >
> > you get the help of tools/ commands, [..]
>
> You speak the words, but you don't actually look at what it does.
>
> Try it.

Why are you saying this ? I've figured the commands by trying
each of them.

> Yes, "make tools/help" works. Yes, it lists targets, and talks about
> how you can use the "<tool>_install" target.
>
> But none of that then matches the rest of what you write.
>
> You talk about nolibc_headers". That's not something that is actually
> listed in the help at all.

I agree. I initially added the few of them there and figured I was
polluting the "make tools/help" output with only nolibc-specific stuff.
I had a look at other comamnds that took arguments and found some that
would also take a few arguments that were not mentioned at the top level
so I concluded that it was the "expected" way to use them there.

> So please, can you read your own email message as somebody who doesn't
> actually know the code, and try the commands you talk about, and see
> the disconnect here?

That's exactly what I'm trying to do and I'm sorry if that doesn't work.
The simple fact that it doesn't work tells me I need to revisit the
approach but I need some hints about it. Please be more specific. I
tried to get as close as possible to what I found in order to apply the
principle of least surprise. Do you want me to create a "noblic_install"
target maybe, even if the equivalent one doesn't exist for half of the
other commands ? If that's it, that can be done as well.

Confused,
Willy