Re: Intel QAT on A2SDi-8C-HLN4F causes massive data corruption with dm-crypt + xfs

From: Giovanni Cabiddu
Date: Wed Mar 02 2022 - 17:42:51 EST

On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 10:27:47AM +1200, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2022 at 03:56:36PM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > > If not, then these are the patches that should be backported:
> > > 7bcb2c99f8ed crypto: algapi - use common mechanism for inheriting flags
> > > 2eb27c11937e crypto: algapi - add NEED_FALLBACK to INHERITED_FLAGS
> > > fbb6cda44190 crypto: algapi - introduce the flag CRYPTO_ALG_ALLOCATES_MEMORY
> > > b8aa7dc5c753 crypto: drivers - set the flag CRYPTO_ALG_ALLOCATES_MEMORY
> > > cd74693870fb dm crypt: don't use drivers that have CRYPTO_ALG_ALLOCATES_MEMORY
> > > Herbert, correct me if I'm wrong here.
> >
> > These need to be manually backported as they do not apply cleanly. Can
> > you provide such a set? Or should I just disable a specific driver here
> > instead which would be easier overall?
>
> I think the safest thing is to disable qat in stable (possibly only
> when DM_CRYPT is enabled/modular). The patches in question while
> good may have too wide an effect for the stable kernel series.
>
> Giovanni, could you send Greg a Kconfig patch to do that?
I was thinking, as an alternative, to lower the cra_priority in the QAT
driver for the algorithms used by dm-crypt so they are not used by
default.
Is that a viable option?

Sure, I can provide a patch for either the cra_priority or the Kconfig
option for the stable kernels that don't have the patches above.

--
Giovanni