Re: next/master bisection: baseline.login on qemu_arm-vexpress-a9

From: Guillaume Tucker
Date: Mon Sep 27 2021 - 12:15:35 EST

On 24/09/2021 21:05, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM Guillaume Tucker
> <guillaume.tucker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Please see the bisection report below about a boot failure on ARM
>> Versatile Express.
>>
>> Reports aren't automatically sent to the public while we're
>> trialing new bisection features on kernelci.org but this one
>> looks valid.
>
> Have you considered given you have the commit, if there's a Link tag,
> sending this as a reply to the original patch? That would be a bit
> easier to find IMO.

Absolutely, in fact it's also possible to search in Lore for the
original thread if there's no Link: trailer in the commit. Then
if subsequent bisections get run, the bot could reply to
say "still failing" with new kernel revisions until it's fixed
and then reply to confirm it is. That's the plan, there's still
a bit of work to do to have it all automated though.

>> Some more details can be found here, for Cortex A9:
>>
>> https://linux.kernelci.org/test/case/id/614c36cf0c427f123799a2db/
>
> I should have remembered there's a qemu model... Anyways, sending out
> a fix in a moment.
>
> The log here was empty. Any reason 'earlycon' is not set here? I also
> noticed stdout-path is not set on many of the Arm Ltd boards. I'll
> send a patch for that, too. You really shouldn't have to set the
> console on the cmdline nowadays unless you want the non-default.

I believe earlycon is not set because it requires specific
options on different platforms, so there's some configuration
overhead involved here. But it's a very good point that has been
raised in the past, I guess someone needs to take the time to
look into enabling it properly. It shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks for the feedback and the quick fix!

Guillaume