Re: [RESEND,v5,1/2] bio: limit bio max size

From: Damien Le Moal
Date: Sun Apr 11 2021 - 18:13:10 EST

On 2021/04/09 23:47, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 4/7/21 3:27 AM, Damien Le Moal wrote:
>> On 2021/04/07 18:46, Changheun Lee wrote:
>>> I'll prepare new patch as you recommand. It will be added setting of
>>> limit_bio_size automatically when queue max sectors is determined.
>>
>> Please do that in the driver for the HW that benefits from it. Do not do this
>> for all block devices.
>
> Hmm ... is it ever useful to build a bio with a size that exceeds
> max_hw_sectors when submitting a bio directly to a block device, or in
> other words, if no stacked block driver sits between the submitter and
> the block device? Am I perhaps missing something?

Device performance wise, the benefits are certainly not obvious to me either.
But for very fast block devices, I think the CPU overhead of building more
smaller BIOs may be significant compared to splitting a large BIO into multiple
requests. Though it may be good to revisit this with some benchmark numbers.

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research