Cant resume from sleep on 5.12-rcx regression?

From: Malte Deiseroth
Date: Sat Apr 10 2021 - 05:57:20 EST

Hey guys.

I think, maybe I found a regression in 5.12.

TLDK: Screen stays black after resume from sleep on kernel 5.12-rcx but not on 5.11.12

I compiler a 5.11.12 and a 5.12-rc6 Kernel on my  Ubuntu 20.10 T480 Laptop. With the 5.11.12 kernel I can safely boot and put the laptop into sleep by closing its lid. Up on opening, everything works fine. However with the 5.12-rc6 (I also tested on rc2 and r4) I can not do this. After sleeping, the laptop wakes up, but the screen stays black. I can still ssh into the machine and it works, but I also cant open any ttys. I tried to gather some logs or any kind of information, but I don't really know what I'm searching for.

My setup might be slightly out of the ordinary, as I have an dm-crypt encrypted filesystem with an encrypted swap partition.

I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time here, but from what I understand about kernel development this should not happen.

All the best

Malte Deiseroth