Re: KASAN: use-after-free Read in locks_delete_block

From: Jeff Layton
Date: Sat Nov 17 2018 - 08:33:36 EST

On Fri, 2018-11-16 at 12:37 -0800, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 3:41 PM, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
> > >
> > > Hi Neil,
> > >
> > > Please include the Reported-by tag next time.
> >
> > I did, as you can see below.
> >
> > When the fix is merged into the patch that introduced the bug, do you
> > still want the Reported-by there, even though the bug and the fix are no
> > longer visible? What if I were to completely rewrite the patch - do I
> > still need the Reported-by??
> >
> > I'm certainly happy to give credit where due, but keeping a complete
> > history of past bugs in a single commit seems excessive.
> > Please help me to understand your needs.
>
> Here is the commit as I see it in linux-next:
> https://gist.githubusercontent.com/dvyukov/ac1791c98d95618a48548cef8df84558/raw/a3f819cca2f0bb47db0c2e88d35d020accb069b5/gistfile1.txt
> As far as I see it already includes the fix to locks_mandatory_area,
> but does not include the tag. Maybe it was merged somehow incorrectly.
>
> This is not so much about credit, but more about proper bug tracking.
> But reports on mailing lists are periodically being lost, and then it
> also may be hard to understand when a new crash is a new bug which
> needs to be reported again or an old lost bug.
> syzbot keeps track of all reported bugs and has a notion of
> open/active reports that still need human attention:
> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/#upstream
> and fixed/closed reports that don't need human attention anymore.
> The Reported-by tags are intercepted by syzbot and allows it to
> understand when a bug is fixed and needs to be closed.
> Keeping track of this is important for 2 reasons:
> 1. Closed/fixed bugs go away from the dashboard, so people don't go
> over them again and again.
> 2. If a bug is closed, syzbot will report new similarly looking bugs
> in future (otherwise it will just merge new crashes into the old bug,
> because it thinks it's still the old bug happenning).
>
> linux-next is somewhat special because commits are being amended, so a
> commit can effectively fix itself. But one way or another syzbot needs
> to know about fixes. Reported-by tags take care of all tracking.
> Otherwise, a human needs to first notice that there is an already
> fixed bug that is still considered open, find the fixing commit and
> issue the "#syz fix" command as I did above. This is especially
> problematic for linux-next as it changes and bisection does not work.
> Here is more info on syzbot bug status tracking:
> https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#bug-status-tracking

Thanks for the explanation, Dmitry. I've added the tag to the patch in
my tree. It should show up in linux-next soon.

I still find it a little misleading to say that syzbot reported a bug
when it actually found a bug inside an earlier version of the patch, but
I'll just learn to get over it.

Thanks,
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>