Re: [1/3] ARM: dts: imx51-zii-common: create common include dtsi

From: Andrey Smirnov
Date: Wed Jun 27 2018 - 13:33:38 EST

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:59 AM Nikita Yushchenko
<nikita.yoush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > There are three boards that share that configuration almost to a T,
> > with the only difference is the particular GPIOs used. Putting it into
> > a common file avoids repeating the boilerplate and makes it explicit
> > to the reader that those settings are shared.
>
> I'd agree if that boilerplate was 100 lines.

OK, so your threshold is 100 lines, mine is 3. Agree to disagree?

> But here it is small, and mostly containing lines that are required for
> any i2c-gpio definition. It does not any value of itself.
>
> Saving 5 lines at cost of loose of integrity is not something I agree with.

Can we maybe tone it down and not make this sound like a struggle of
"good vs. evil"?

> > There are at least two boards that use that UART2 as is. Same as above
> > this was done to reduce boilerplate.
>
> Here have choice between two logical blocks - definitions of uart2 in
> two boards that use them, and two logical blocks - definition in dtsi
> and undo in board that does not use it.
>
> You trade a couple of saved dts lines against keeping things consistent.

That's your POV, mine is that I save a couple of lines and things are
still consistent.

> Nikita
>
> P.S.
> In case of these zii boards I doubt that dtsi worths at all. Despite of
> all being imx51 boards from ZII, these boards don't seem to have large
> common logical blocks. Perhaos RDU1 and babbage have more in common - so
> what, create a dtsi for them?

Nope, that slippery slope doesn't exist at all. We have a clear
boundary/decision criteria of common vendor.

As I said, let's leave this decision up to the maintainers and avoid
continuing having this argument where neither party convinces another.

Thanks,
Andrey Smirnov