Re: problem with bio handling on raid5 and pblk

From: Javier GonzÃlez
Date: Fri Mar 23 2018 - 08:52:39 EST

> On 22 Mar 2018, at 18.00, Matias BjÃrling <mb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 03/22/2018 03:34 PM, Javier GonzÃlez wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have been looking into a bug report when using pblk and raid5 on top
>> and I am having problems understanding if the problem is in pblk's bio
>> handling or on raid5's bio assumptions on the completion path.
>> The problem occurs on the read path. In pblk, we take a reference to
>> every read bio as it enters, and release it after completing the bio.
>> generic_make_request()
>> pblk_submit_read()
>> bio_get()
>> bio_endio()
>> bio_put()
>> The problem seems to be that on raid5's bi_end_io completion path,
>> raid5_end_read_request(), bio_reset() is called. When put together
>> with pblk's bio handling:
>> generic_make_request()
>> pblk_submit_read()
>> bio_get()
>> bio_endio()
>> raid5_end_read_request()
>> bio_reset()
>> bio_put()
>> it results in the newly reset bio being put immediately, thus freed.
>> When the bio is reused then, we have an invalid pointer. In the report
>> we received things crash at BUG_ON(bio->bi_next) at
>> generic_make_request().
>> As far as I understand, it is part of the bio normal operation for
>> drivers under generic_make_request() to be able to take references and
>> release them after bio completion. Thus, in this case, the assumption
>> made by raid5, that it can issue a bio_reset() is incorrect. But I might
>> be missing an implicit cross layer rule that we are violating in pblk.
>> Any ideas?
>> This said, after analyzing the problem from pblk's perspective, I see
>> not reason to use bio_get()/bio_put() in the read path as it is at the
>> pblk level that we are submitting bio_endio(), thus we cannot risk the
>> bio being freed underneath us. Is this reasoning correct? I remember I
>> introduced these at the time there was a bug on the aio path, which was
>> not cleaning up correctly and could trigger an early bio free, but
>> revisiting it now, it seems unnecessary.
>> Thanks for the help!
>> Javier
>
> I think I sent a longer e-mail to you and Huaicheng about this a while back.

I don't think I was in that email.

There are two parts to the question. One is raid5's bio completion
assumptions and the other is whether we can avoid bio_get()/put() in
pblk's read path. The first part is pblk independent and I would like to
leave it open as I would like to understand how bio_reset() in this
context is correct. Right now, I cannot see how this is correct
behaviour.

For the pblk specific part, see below.

> The problem is that the pblk encapsulates the bio in its own request.
> So the bio's are freed before the struct request completion is done
> (as you identify). If you can make the completion path (as bio's are
> completed before the struct request completion fn is called) to not
> use the bio, then the bio_get/put code can be removed.
>
> If it needs the bio on the completion path (e.g., for partial reads,
> and if needed in the struct request completion path), one should clone
> the bio, submit, and complete the original bio afterwards.

I don't follow how the relationship with struct request completion is
different with bio_get/put and without.

The flow in terms of bio and struct request management is today:

generic_make_request()
pblk_submit_read()
bio_get()
blk_init_request_from_bio()
blk_execute_rq_nowait() / blk_execute_rq() // denepnding on sync/async
bio_endio()
bio_put()
blk_mq_free_request()

bios risk to always freed in any case, as bio_put() will the last pblk
reference. The only case in which this will not happen is that somebody
else took a bio_get() on the way down. But we cannot assume anything.

I guess the problem I am having understanding this is how we can risk
the bio disappearing underneath when we are the ones completing the bio.
As I understand it, in this case we are always guaranteed that the
bio is alive due to the allocation reference. Therefore, bio_get()/put()
is not needed. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Javier