Re: problem with bio handling on raid5 and pblk

From: Matias BjÃrling
Date: Thu Mar 22 2018 - 13:01:06 EST

On 03/22/2018 03:34 PM, Javier González wrote:
Hi,

I have been looking into a bug report when using pblk and raid5 on top
and I am having problems understanding if the problem is in pblk's bio
handling or on raid5's bio assumptions on the completion path.

The problem occurs on the read path. In pblk, we take a reference to
every read bio as it enters, and release it after completing the bio.

generic_make_request()
pblk_submit_read()
bio_get()
bio_endio()
bio_put()

The problem seems to be that on raid5's bi_end_io completion path,
raid5_end_read_request(), bio_reset() is called. When put together
with pblk's bio handling:

generic_make_request()
pblk_submit_read()
bio_get()
bio_endio()
raid5_end_read_request()
bio_reset()
bio_put()

it results in the newly reset bio being put immediately, thus freed.
When the bio is reused then, we have an invalid pointer. In the report
we received things crash at BUG_ON(bio->bi_next) at
generic_make_request().

As far as I understand, it is part of the bio normal operation for
drivers under generic_make_request() to be able to take references and
release them after bio completion. Thus, in this case, the assumption
made by raid5, that it can issue a bio_reset() is incorrect. But I might
be missing an implicit cross layer rule that we are violating in pblk.
Any ideas?

This said, after analyzing the problem from pblk's perspective, I see
not reason to use bio_get()/bio_put() in the read path as it is at the
pblk level that we are submitting bio_endio(), thus we cannot risk the
bio being freed underneath us. Is this reasoning correct? I remember I
introduced these at the time there was a bug on the aio path, which was
not cleaning up correctly and could trigger an early bio free, but
revisiting it now, it seems unnecessary.

Thanks for the help!

Javier

I think I sent a longer e-mail to you and Huaicheng about this a while back.

The problem is that the pblk encapsulates the bio in its own request. So the bio's are freed before the struct request completion is done (as you identify). If you can make the completion path (as bio's are completed before the struct request completion fn is called) to not use the bio, then the bio_get/put code can be removed.

If it needs the bio on the completion path (e.g., for partial reads, and if needed in the struct request completion path), one should clone the bio, submit, and complete the original bio afterwards.