Re: [GIT PULL] IPMI updates for 4.15

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 15 2017 - 18:26:01 EST

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That way the pull requests don't end up being dependent on each other like this.

Just to clarify - it wasn't a problem this time, but sometimes I *do*
end up delaying (or even rejecting) pulls, and quite often I strive to
merge similar pull requests together (ie "now I'm doing filesystems"
etc).

So avoiding dependencies between trees is good, and basically doing
cross-merges should be done only for pretty pressing reasons.

This merge window, for example, I did filesystems yesterday. Well,
*most* filesystems.

The AFS update depended on the networking pull, which hadn't come in
yesterday. I suspect that one has a really good reason for the
dependency, but if it hadn't had it, I would have been a bit annoyed
by that kind of cross-pollination when I try to organize my pull
requests..

But the fact that you both mentioned it in your respective pull
requests was good, and means that I don't pull and then find out the
hard way, which is the really annoying code.

So no worries.

Thanks.

Linus