Re: linux-next: Tree for Jun 21

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Tue Jun 21 2016 - 16:40:52 EST

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 02:36:34PM -0400, Chris Metcalf wrote:
> On 6/21/2016 2:28 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> >I had to s/__atomic_fetch/__atomic32_fetch/ to avoid a namespace clash
> >with the builtin C11 atomic primitives.
> >
> >You want me to rename them all to regain consistent naming?
>
> Yes, it's probably the right thing to do. All the internal routines with "atomic32"
> or "atomic64" I assume you mean?

Yep, after this patch we have a few __atomic_ and a few __atomic32_,
which is rather unbecoming. Lemme go convert them all to __atomic32_.

> So what's your build process for the cross tools, by the way? I'm assuming
> you're not doing a total bootstrap cross-tool build since you'd need minimal
> kernel headers (linux/errno.h or whatever) in that case. I assume you're using
> the host headers to build the cross tool?
>
> So I'm a little confused how the other kernel headers are working out for you,
> e.g. <arch/icache.h> is referenced when building the tilegx libgcc.

I've no idea; I use this thing:

git://git.infradead.org/users/segher/buildall.git

Although I've got some local modifications, none are to the actual
toolchain building part (although I suppose I should send segher a
patch).

I have binutils-gdb.git and gcc.bit checkouts and point the buildall
config to that (both are on latest stable branches binutils-2_26-branch
and gcc-6-branch resp.). And I point the kernel path to my current
hacked up tree.

I don't really rebuild the entire toolchains often, mostly only when I
really need a new GCC or its getting really old (like I used 5.3.0 for a
long while).