Re: [RFC V2] init: support device of major:minor:offset format

From: Yu Chen
Date: Wed May 06 2015 - 21:38:24 EST

Hi, Geert

On 05/07/2015 12:49 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 2:24 AM, Chen Yu <yu.c.chen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Distribution like Ubuntu uses klibc rather than uswsusp to resume
system from hibernation, which will treat swap partition/file in
the form of major:minor:offset. For example, 8:3:0 represents a
swap partition in klibc, and klibc's resume process in initrd will
finally echo 8:3:0 to /sys/power/resume for manually restoring.
However in current implementation, 8:3:0 will be treated as an invalid

Why can't klibc write the same information as uswsusp?
I agree. However it seems that klibc treats all device/file as such
fixed format when dealing with hibernation, I guess that might be
easier for it to implement?

Why should the kernel adapt to a specific piece of userspace?

device format, and it is found that manual resumming from hibernation
will fail on lastest kernel.

Is this a regression, perhaps introduced by commit 283e7ad024115571
("init: stricter checking of major:minor root= values")? If that is the case,
please say so.

yes, it is. I think there's a modified patch for it at:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm.git/commit/?h=for-next&id=cb31ef485dd4c6a205d1064b42027f82076d00c8

Thanks

Best Regards,
Yu