Re: [patch][resend] MAP_HUGETLB munmap fails with size not 2MB aligned

From: Eric B Munson
Date: Fri Mar 27 2015 - 09:51:51 EST

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, David Rientjes wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Davide Libenzi wrote:
>
> > > Yes, this munmap() behavior of lengths <= hugepage_size - PAGE_SIZE for a
> > > hugetlb vma is long standing and there may be applications that break as a
> > > result of changing the behavior: a database that reserves all allocated
> > > hugetlb memory with mmap() so that it always has exclusive access to those
> > > hugepages, whether they are faulted or not, and maintains its own hugepage
> > > pool (which is common), may test the return value of munmap() and depend
> > > on it returning -EINVAL to determine if it is freeing memory that was
> > > either dynamically allocated or mapped from the hugetlb reserved pool.
> >
> > You went a long way to create such a case.
> > But, in your case, that application will erroneously considering hugepage
> > mmaped memory, as dynamically allocated, since it will always get EINVAL,
> > unless it passes an aligned size. Aligned size, which a fix like the one
> > posted in the patch will still leave as success.
>
> There was a patch proposed last week to add reserved pools to the
> hugetlbfs mount option specifically for the case where a large database
> wants sole reserved access to the hugepage pool. This is why hugetlbfs
> pages become reserved on mmap(). In that case, the database never wants
> to do munmap() and instead maintains its own hugepage pool.
>
> That makes the usual database case, mmap() all necessary hugetlb pages to
> reserve them, even easier since they have historically had to maintain
> this pool amongst various processes.
>
> Is there a process out there that tests for munmap(ptr) == EINVAL and, if
> true, returns ptr to its hugepage pool? I can't say for certain that none
> exist, that's why the potential for breakage exists.

Such an application can use /proc/pid/smaps to determine the page size
of a mapping. IMO, this is relying on broken behavior but I see where
you are coming from that this behavior has been present for a long time.

As I stated before, I think we should fix this bug and make munmap()
behavior match what is described in the man page.