Re: [RFC 0/3] mmc: Add dynamic frequency scaling

From: Krzysztof Kozlowski
Date: Thu Jan 15 2015 - 04:20:39 EST

On czw, 2015-01-15 at 09:20 +0100, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> + Mike, Stephen (Clock maintainers)
>
> On 12 January 2015 at 10:23, Krzysztof Kozlowski
> <k.kozlowski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I would like to hear some comments about idea of scaling MMC clock
> > frequency. The basic idea is to lower the clock when device is
> > completely idle or not busy enough.
>
> We already have host drivers that implements runtime PM support.
> Typically that would mean the clock will be gated once the device
> becomes runtime PM suspended.
>
> Why should we decrease the frequency of an already gated clock?

In case of idle state you're right that clkgate would be better. But
what about finding a compromise between high performance (high
frequency) and energy saving for different loads on MMC?

The frequency scaling could help in that case. Anyway I should prepare
some more benchmarks for such conditions.

Best regards,
Krzysztof