Re: [RFC 0/3] mmc: Add dynamic frequency scaling

From: Ulf Hansson
Date: Thu Jan 15 2015 - 03:20:15 EST

+ Mike, Stephen (Clock maintainers)

On 12 January 2015 at 10:23, Krzysztof Kozlowski
<k.kozlowski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I would like to hear some comments about idea of scaling MMC clock
> frequency. The basic idea is to lower the clock when device is
> completely idle or not busy enough.

We already have host drivers that implements runtime PM support.
Typically that would mean the clock will be gated once the device
becomes runtime PM suspended.

Why should we decrease the frequency of an already gated clock?

I think this boils done to how DVFS transitions can be triggered from
the clock drivers, right?

Currently the clock framework supports this through clock rate change
notifiers. Should we have clock notifiers for clk_prepare|unprepare()
as well? I do remember that someone posted patches for that a while
ago, but those were rejected.

Mike, Stephen - comments?

Kind regards
Uffe