Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Dave Jones
Date: Fri Dec 12 2014 - 14:23:54 EST

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:14:06AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Something that's still making me wonder if it's some kind of hardware
> > problem is the non-deterministic nature of this bug.
>
> I'd expect it to be a race condition, though. Which can easily cause
> these kinds of issues, and the timing will be pretty random even if
> the load is very regular.
>
> I'm also not sure if the bug ever happens with preemption disabled.

After tomorrow, I'm not going to be in front of this machine until
Wednesday, so I'll leave a no-preempt build running for the duration.
Hopefully that will give us some clues. I might be able to log into
it while travelling, so I'll provide updates where possible as long
as it doesn't wedge solid.

Dave