Re: [perf] yet another 32/64-bit range check failure

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Wed Apr 23 2014 - 09:30:45 EST

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> So perf_event_open() -> err_alloc: -> free_event() -> __free_event() ->
> call_rcu() -> free_event_rcu() -> kfree().
>
> Would explain that, right? The memory is RCU freed, which means we need
> to wait a grace period before releasing it.

ah yes, RCU. That does make debugging this issue a lot harder.

Back to trying to get the bug to trigger in a useful location while ftrace
is running. I keep triggering it immediately after the compiler generates
helpful code like
mov 0x40(%rbx),%rbx
so the address is lost and the register dump just holds 0x6b6b6b6b6b6b6b6b.

Vince