Re: [GIT] Security subsystem changes for 3.14

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 12:15:10 EST

Since I got a conflict on this one and had to look at the code:

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 5:11 AM, James Morris <jmorris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Peter Huewe (5):
> tpm/tpm_ppi: Check return value of acpi_get_name

that commit looks wrong (and mainline had fixed it correctly in the meantime).

The problem with

+ if (ACPI_FAILURE(status))
+ return status;

is that this is a callback for acpi_walk_namespace(), and returning a
failure status means that the walk will be interrupted.

So you actually want to return AE_OK if the acpi_get_name() call
fails, because that just skips the failing node. Returning failure
will skip *all* the nodes.

In practice it probably doesn't matter (acpi_get_name() isn't supposed
to fail), but I thought I'd point it out since I had to stare at the
conflict.

Linus