Re: [11/11] system 1: Saving energy using DVFS

From: Catalin Marinas
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 06:19:59 EST

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 07:15:46PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Mon 2014-01-20 18:03:22, Catalin Marinas wrote:

> > > You are claiming that energy is proportional to current squared?
> > >
> > > I stand by numbers. Energy is proportional to values I quoted,
> > > provided constant voltage.
> >
> > The big advantage of frequency scaling is that you can scale down the
> > voltage, making the power proportional to the voltage squared (or
> > current squared for a constant resistance).
>
> I was talking battery voltage; so multiple my numbers by 3.6V and
> you'll get Joules.

That's where we were talking about different things. What I was
referring to was the actual current used by the CPU which is different
from the one drawn from battery for that CPU (because of voltage
translation). But with a low-loss voltage regulator, we could pretend
that the corresponding power used by the CPU is the same at the battery
level.

> Can you point out problem with my numbers or not?

I agree with your equivalent battery current for the CPU (minor thing, I
get about 12% power consumption at 33% performance from Morten's
numbers, irrelevant).

The other thing I didn't agree with was the screen on vs race to idle
but I'll follow up separately.

--
Catalin