Re: [11/11] system 1: Saving energy using DVFS

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Jan 20 2014 - 14:15:57 EST

On Mon 2014-01-20 18:03:22, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 05:47:45PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > BTW, the proper way to calculate this is to use the energy rather than
> > > current x time. This would be J = Ohm * A^2 * s = V^2 / Ohm * s (so the
> > > impact of the current is even bigger).
> >
> > You are claiming that energy is proportional to current squared?
> >
> > I stand by numbers. Energy is proportional to values I quoted,
> > provided constant voltage.
>
> The big advantage of frequency scaling is that you can scale down the
> voltage, making the power proportional to the voltage squared (or
> current squared for a constant resistance).

I was talking battery voltage; so multiple my numbers by 3.6V and
you'll get Joules.

Yes, I know how voltage scaling works, thats why you can get 11% power
consumption for 33% of work done, thank you.

But no, my cell phone is not pure resistor, that's why your quotation
of Ohm's law surprised me.

Can you point out problem with my numbers or not?
Pavel